PMI-OC Book Club
Welcome to the PMI-OC Book Club! The PMI-OC Book Club is a virtual gathering place for PMI-OC members to read and discuss books related to project management and leadership development. The goal is for participants to grow as project managers and as leaders as they read and discuss the literature selected by the Book Club.
Benefits at a Glance
- Ease of participation through a virtual setting
- Great way to learn and earn PDUs
- Share relevant books you've already read to spread information and help others
- Great way to network with like-minded professionals interested in books and growth
- Enhance project management and leadership skills and enrich your perspective through co-mingling with others' perspectives
Book Club Details
Book Club Structure
- The Book Club is virtual/held online.
- Current PMI-OC members may participate in the Book Club sessions for free.
- Non-members may participate in the Book Club sessions for a $10 fee for each session.
- Participants must acquire their own copy of the book.
- The Book Club meetings are held once every other month on the third Thursday (Next Meeting Date: March 21 2024).
Book Club Meeting Structure
- Each meeting will have a facilitator to guide discussion.
- Each meeting should be expected to last one hour.
- No more than 300 pages should be read per Book Club session.
- Books with more than 300 pages may be divided into sections and those books may be discussed over a period of 2 or more sessions.
- After each meeting, we request that participants provide 3-5 takeaways/lessons that they learned from the book to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we may collate all of the takeaways into a singular set of notes to describe usefulness of the book in the Books Read Journal.
How to Participate
- Participation requires registering for the book club session on the PMI-OC website.
- Participants must have read the book/book section under selection.
- Should cost no more than $30.
- Should fall under one or more PMI Talent Triangle categories.
- Books are selected by registrants filling out a survey where they vote on their top 3 choices for the next read.
- The survey is sent out to registrants a week before the event registration cutoff date to allow time for those registered to vote on the next book.
- Survey participants may also nominate additional books to add to the survey in the future.
- The top choice for the next book is revealed at the upcoming Book Club meeting.
- We will report 1 PDU for attending the meeting. The type of PDU reported will be based on the book content.
- Participants may also self-report PDUs to PMI based on time they spend reading (with 1 PDU per hour read, to a maximum of 6 PDUs)
If You Have Questions/Need Help
- If you have any questions or need help, please reach out to the Mentorship Program team at email@example.com.
Next Meeting Date/Time:
Current Book to Read:
Synopsis from Amazon
The Jelly Effect teaches you simple, memorable and costless ways to win more attention and more business. Imagine how effective you'd be if you communicated only what was relevant 100 percent of the time. You would be better at talking to others, presenting, networking and selling. You would excel in interviews, meetings and pay-rise discussions. The benefits would be endless.
The Jelly Effect will show you how to get the best out of any situation, whether you're speaking to an individual or a group, formally or informally, inside or outside your organisation. By the time you close the final page of this book, you will be armed with practical, proven techniques that will help you be more effective in all your business dealings.