Effective April 1st, the PMI-OC Board of Directors has approved an increase for the Charles Lopinsky Memorial Scholarship from $1,000 to $3,000!
The Project Management Institute Educational Foundation Academic Scholarship Program is designed to financially assist qualified applicants in obtaining degrees from accredited academic institutions of higher learning in the field of project management or any field with any relation to project management. The program is open to any student preparing to enter or already attending an accredited degree-granting college or university and pursuing a bachelor, master’s or doctoral degree.
The scholarships are awarded based on merit as measured by academic performance and extracurricular activities. The applicant’s intended field of study is also considered in the evaluation process with preference given to those candidates pursuing a degree in project management or a directly related field of study.
The Foundation’s Scholarship Committee determines the dollar amount and renew ability of scholarships annually.
- Scholarships are limited to use at an accredited degree granting institution of higher learning.
- Candidates applying for more than one scholarship must submit a separate pdf Application Form and essays for each scholarship for which they apply.
- Only one copy of the official transcript, résumé and reference letters needs to be provided, even if candidates are applying for more than one scholarship.
- Scholarships are paid directly to the candidate based on written acknowledgment that the scholarship award will be used for the intended purpose.
- Scholarships are open to any student entering or attending an accredited degree granting institution. Evidence of enrollment is required.
- Preference will be given to students who will be or are pursuing a degree in the field of project management or a directly related field, as stated in the scholarship in question.
- Full-time and part-time studies are both eligible for consideration.
- Project Management Institute (PMI®) members holding elected or appointed offices at the global PMI level and PMI employees, along with members of their immediate family (regardless of membership in PMI) are not eligible for these scholarships.
- All decisions of the PMI Educational Foundation and its Scholarship Committee are final.
- Application deadline is June 1, 2010; award recipient(s) will be notified by July 30, 2010. The scholarships will be awarded in September.
- All scholarships are subject to annual funds availability. Awards in any year shall be based on availability of funds in dedicated scholarships/grants through interest earnings from the scholarship capital fund. Only interest earnings, actual and/or accrued for the scholarship capital fund, may be used for scholarship awards.
- Scholarships will be awarded without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or state of physical handicap.
- If applying by regular mail, an Application Form can be folder downloaded here . If applying online go to http://www.pmi.org/pmief/scholarship/scholarship-lopinsky.asp
- Two essays: Essay #1: Why I want to be a project manager. Essay #2: How a Code of Ethics is important to Project Managment
- The latest available official high school transcript and/or, if applicable, the latest available official college transcript.
- A résumé outlining educational background, work experience, co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Three letters of reference (who are not relatives of the candidate) that address the suitability of the candidate for the award, nature of the relationship with the candidate and length of time of the relationship.
- For more details, go to PMI Educational Foundation at :http://www.pmi.org/pmief/scholarship/scholarship-lopinsky.asp
All materials submitted for consideration for a scholarship automatically become the physical property of the PMI Educational Foundation and will not be returned to the sender. They will not be used by the Foundation for any purpose except to help determine who receives a scholarship for any given academic year.
- An Evaluation Committee will be convened comprising three to five PMI members representing industry and academia.
- The Evaluation Committee's results will become the basis for a Selection Committee to make a final decision. The Selection Committee will be chaired by the Foundation's Chief Operating Officer, include one member of the Foundation's Board of Directors and one to three PMI members.
- Preference will be given to the candidate who will be or is pursuing a degree in the field of project management or a directly related field.
- Preference will be given to the candidate with the best combination of academic, co-curricular and extracurricular performance, with the highest potential for academic success.
- Descriptions of all scholarships will be published on the PMI Educational Foundation Web site.
- Application forms are available upon request from the PMI Educational Foundation, or they can be printed from the PMI Educational Foundation Web site.
- The Scholarship Candidate Selection Process is available upon request from the PMI Educational Foundation, and from the PMI Educational Foundation Web site.
- The name(s) of scholarship recipient(s) will be published on the PMI Educational Foundation Web site and in PMI publications as appropriate.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email scholarship.